Saturday, June 23, 2018

A Noise in the Night

2018 has been an interesting year so far. Career changes, moving into a new apartment, and various other personal shifts have been the focus of these first few months. But in the midst of all the changes and craziness of life, I've decided that among everything else, I should keep posting stuff here, especially since I have a massive portfolio of writing that never went public. I don't know if I'll have a consistent post schedule, but I will try to post as often as possible. Anyways, enjoy this short piece from my junior year of college.


A Noise in the Night

A barrage of bangs echoed through the evening air. Billy sat up, wondering if he had merely dreamed the noise into life. A second volley screaming in the distance quickly dispelled this thought.
Stumbling to the door, he rattled the knob only to realize it was locked from the outside. He began beating upon it, his cries overwhelming the thunderous boom of his fists. Meanwhile, the explosions were sounding closer.
The deadbolt slid open, and several men entered Billy’s room. As they pinned him down and delivered a dose of sedatives, the doctor shook his head and said,
“Poor soldier.”

No comments:

Post a Comment